Blog Post #3

Hey, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are having a great week, and as usual, if you aren't it's not too late to change it! ☺

Copyright & Fair Use

   Copyright is used to protect work that is individual, and it provides exclusive rights to use and distribute it. If you use work that is copyrighted, you must give proper recognition, and in some cases, you may have to pay the author. Fair use and copyright go hand in hand. Fair Use is a set of guidelines that follow the rules put in place by the Copyright Act of 1976. These guidelines allow users to copy certain materials for nonprofit educational purposes, as long as it is not used extravagantly. As a teacher, if I made something original that I thought would be beneficial for other teachers, I would be sure to copyright so that I would get credit. In the same way, if one of my students made something worth sharing, I would help them copyright their work so it can be protected, and they can benefit as well. If I planned on using something original to another individual, I would follow the Fair Use guidelines to. be sure that the author gets the credit they deserve. 

Technology Implementation Issues

    Two of the main issues that I imagine I would have with technology implementation as a teacher are academic dishonesty and decreased productivity. Academic dishonesty will be so tempting for a student when testing or completing an assignment on a laptop or some other sort of technology. To avoid this, I would start by setting clear boundaries about cheating and academic dishonesty as well as clear consequences if these boundaries are crossed. In addition, I would use a program to monitor them while they are testing, such as Honorlock, and a program to check their assignments for plagiarism, such as Dupli Checker. To combat decreased productivity due to technology, I would implement some kind of check list system where the students get rewarded each time they complete something on their agenda for the day. This way they would be motivated to complete their work, instead of being distracted by something like a website or computer games that are unrelated to their assignments. Furthermore, I would be sure to monitor the students while they use technology by walking around the classroom to ensure that everyone is on task. 

New Skills Provided By the Newsletter Design Assignment

    I would like to start off by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this assignment! It felt more like a fun activity to me, rather than an assignment. I hope that one day I can write newsletters like this to distribute to parents in my own classroom. I learned so much by completing this assignment. My favorite thing that I learned was how to create a letter head for my newsletter on Canva. I think my letter head was my favorite part of the whole assignment. Also, I learned how to configure a Word document so that you can write in columns. I love the aesthetic that it created as if you were actually reading a newspaper. In the future, I would like to improve my newsletter by including more images, as well as maybe writing a little bit more about each topic, and increasing the diversity about what I choose to write about. In my future classroom, I could use this newsletter to shoutout achievements in the classroom, tell about upcoming events, encourage my parents and students about the work to come, and ultimately keep the parents updated with everything going on in our classroom. 

Here are screenshots of my newsletter that I created. 




Thanks for stopping by and reading this far. I hope you all have a great week! See you next week! 
                                                                                                                                       -Hannah 


Comments

  1. Hey Hannah! Thanks for asking.. This week was a little bit bitter sweet, I guess. The weather here in Tally, some of the news... you know, right? I liked your definitions and the ways you'll make sure to engage in copyright and fair use practices! Checklist systems sounds great as a way of managing decreased productivity! I liked that. While I can get the good intention on monitoring students in the classroom, I think it's also important to providing them with some space! It's OK to 'not monitor' sometimes! I also liked the letter head in your newsletter and the main color seems like a great match with the seasons we're going through! Seems like you've great ideas for future newsletter design and I hope you'll write newsletters when you become a teacher, as you've mentioned! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment